I recently came across a Muslim website called submission.org. “Submission”, is the literal translation of the word “Islam”, and it refers to the believer’s obligation to blindly follow whatever god commands him. In Judaism there is a similar injunction referred to as the “yoke of the kingdom of heaven”. It is the belief that only god decides how we should live, and we are not allowed to disobey whether we like it or not . While all religions stress this point, It is interesting that Islam chose to stress it so much, that it actually called the religion by the name “submission”.
I came to the site after googling “women in Islam”, and encountered an interesting list. Under the title of “Misconceptions about Women in Islam” the site lists 23 points, which while it openly admits are widespread and practiced in Muslim countries, it stresses that these are not necessarily fundamental to the Muslim faith.
This is, however- irrelevant. Be it true or false interpretation, fact is that in the entire Muslim world, women are murdered, beaten and severely oppressed from infancy to death in the name of Islam. While submission of women is apparent in all religions, nowhere today is it more apparent than in Islam – which to the atheist appears very clearly as the submission of women to the will of men, with “God’s will” being the supposed basis of morality for this sick ordeal.
Here is the list, which basically describes the life of a muslim woman. For the full version, with the website’s liberal interpretation, please visit the following link.
- Muslim women have to wear the veil
- Islam encourages wife beating
- The woman inherits only half what a man can inherit
- The woman’s testimony. is equal only to half of the man’s testimony
- Muslim woman cannot have jobs outside their homes
- Polygamy is strongly recommended (For men…)
- Men’s status is higher than that of women
- Muslim Women cannot have education
- Women cannot share in the political life in their communities
- Women cannot pray, fast, do Hajj or Ummrah during menstruation
- Women are stoned to death for Adultery
- Muslim women cannot marry Jewish or Christian men
- Muslim women do not have the right to divorce their husbands
- Compensation for the murder of a woman is half the going rate for men
- For a woman to prove rape, four adult males of “impeccable” character must witness the incident
- The legal age for girls to marry tends to be very young
- Female circumcision
- Muslim women are not allowed to drive
- Typically, fathers win custody of boys over the age of six and girls after the onset of puberty
- Women must be segregated form men in public, work and places of worship
- “honor killings” of women
- “Morality Police” keeps control on the behavior of women
- Women cannot travel freely except in the company of a male relative, “mahram”
With world muslim population standing at rougly 1.2 bliion people, and considering that out of 52 muslim countries, not one has yet practiced true democracy or free speech, it is safe to say that at least half a billion muslim women are living under the described conditions to various degrees.
The only question left is- where the hell are the femenists?!?!